Sunday, December 19, 2010

Experience Chasers

But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you. Matthew 6:30

We live in a day where we whole-heartedly chase after the next great experience. We can even relate this to seeking after the next God experience depending on what side of the fence you stand on. For example, we run so quickly to the next football or baseball game to cheer on our favorite sports teams. We run to the next movie theater to discover the next hidden mystery in a movie. We seek out new places to eat. It could be we run to the next bar to have that next needed drink. All of these are examples of ways we chase after the next experience.

We may travel to the ends of the earth trying to explore the lost Mayan ruins. To Alaska to see the hidden mysteries of that great place or the Grand Canyon to explore it’s great depths. On the other side we may run to the next Christian meeting to fill our self with the Lord’s presence. The next concert or new church that gives us exactly what we want. We do all these things to fill our own selfish desires and ambitions. When will we stop chasing after the next great experience and start searching whole-heartedly after the one who provides these great experiences?

I am not ensuing that we stop living our lives and enjoying all of God’s great creation. What I am saying is that the depths of all that has been created can be an even greater joy once your hearts desires line up with the will of the Lord.

Why did Jesus tell his followers to first seek the kingdom of God and all of his righteousness? Well for one because they were concerned about what they would eat, and what clothes they would have. But more importantly Jesus said unto these same people in John 6:35 I am the bread of life: he that comes to me shall never hunger; and he that believes on me shall never thirst.

Matthew 26:26-29 says As they were eating, Jesus took some bread and blessed it. Then he broke it in pieces and gave it to the disciples, saying, “Take this and eat it, for this is my body.” And he took a cup of wine and gave thanks to God for it. He gave it to them and said, “Each of you drink from it, for this is my blood, which confirms the covenant between God and his people. It is poured out as a sacrifice to forgive the sins of many. Mark my words I will not drink wine again until the day I drink it new with you in my Father’s Kingdom.” What a wonderful reminder that Jesus is all that we really need. When we fix our eyes on the father he changes our direction. He gives us purpose. We no longer run to the things that were fulfilling to our flesh before. We run into his arms and rest at his feet.

I say all of this because I was once a worldly experience chaser. I would run to the next bar with my friends or travel through out the country running from my problems. I chased after women trying to find my place, trying to find comfort in the arms of someone other than my Lord. After I got saved I chased after the next church event. Whether it was a concert or a prayer meeting I was chasing after the presence of God. I thought that this was exactly what the father wanted me to do. Chase after him and his presence. I realized that I was not as much chasing after the father, as I was an experience of the father.

The Lord corrected me and said stop chasing after an experience. Just sit still and rest in my presence. You don’t have to run to the ends of the world to find me. He said to me, “Here am I, my beloved rest in me” Isaiah 55:1-3, 6-7 says “Is anyone thirsty? Come and drink even if you have no money! Come, take your choice of wine or milk it’s all free. Why spend your money on food that does not give you strength? Why pay for food that does you no good? Listen to me, and you will eat what is good. You will enjoy the finest food. “ Come to me with your ears wide open. Listen, and you will find life. I will make an everlasting covenant with you. I will give you all the unfailing love I promised to David. Verse 6; Seek the Lord while you can find him. Call on him now while he is near. Let the wicked change their ways and banish the very thought of doing wrong. Let them turn to the Lord that he may have mercy on them. Yes, turn to our God, for he will forgive generously. Wow, what a wonderful scripture of what God has to offer us who will seek after him.

There is a wonderful story of Mary and Martha that talks about finding this very truth that was spoken about thousands of years earlier. This takes place in the book of Luke 10:38-41. As Jesus and the disciples continued on their way to Jerusalem, they came to a certain village where a woman named Martha welcomed him into her home. Her sister, Mary, sat at the Lord’s feet, listening to what he taught. But Martha was distracted by the big dinner she was preparing. She came to Jesus and said, “Lord doesn’t it seem unfair to you that my sister just sits here while I do all the work? Tell her to come and help me.” But the Lord said to her, “My dear Martha, you are worried and upset over all these details! There is only one thing worth being concerned about. Mary has discovered it, and it will not be taken away from her.”

This life and all that it is can so easily take us from the presence of our Lord if we allow it to. As the story says, Mary has discovered it, and it will not be taken away from her. Allow yourself time to sit at the feet of Jesus. He will be the greatest experience you ever have. He is the Everlasting God. The experience he provides will not only change you, but it will also change the world around you. Will you rest from chasing after experiences that only lead to death and start resting in the presence of the Lord? The Lord will strip away all the evil desires that distract you from his rest.

I will end with this: May the Lord bless you and keep you; the Lord make his face shine upon you and be gracious to you; the Lord turn his face toward you and give you peace. Numbers 6:24-26

1 comment:

  1. Luke,

    I always enjoy reading your blog posts...they always seem to be exactly what I need to hear, a nice reminder.

    Thanks, and keep them coming!

    ReplyDelete